Sunday, April 18, 2010

Submitted by Kitty Chavarie

Things are going well here in Chemainus.  My friends supported me with a garage sale/hotdog stand at my house last Saturday; we raised $600.  The goods were almost exclusively donated! It was a great way to advertise and raise awareness about the ride.  It was a lot of work, but was also lots of fun.  This Saturday we host our Beer and Burger-silent auction night. Selling 100 tickets ahead of time is no easy feat, but it has given me the opportunity to knock on doors and meet more neighbours than ever.  I have received a great response everywhere due to the article that was written in our local newspapers that made folks aware that I am doing this ride.  This little community is very supportive and they never fail to inspire me to ride more because everyone believes I can do this.  I feel them cheering me on when I am many kilometres away doing this "training thing".  I don't even know what cadence means, but I am trying hard to "get it".  Technicalities are not my strength, but getting the job done is; so, I am harnessing that energy instead of intellectualizing the "how to ride" details.

I have a ride buddy now who spends time with me on Sundays and Mondays; she has done triathlons many years ago and is a strong rider.  She inspires me to pick up the pace by just trying to catch her.  I look forward to riding with a group and hope I can keep up with all the other riders at some level.  I have dedicated my ride to Sandra Smith.  She continues to inspire me with her emails and photos.  We have not met yet, but I sure hope we meet in Banff in June.  Sandra is on the wait list for a double lung transplant so keep her in your thoughts and prayers (her bio is on my site on Gear up). Keep healthy and happy!  We are all blessed in different ways.  Thanks to everyone for inspiring me to do bigger things than I would have ever dreamed of doing.

Love, Kitty



UPDATE: Riding has been great so far. My best ride has been 60 km; I average about 40 km a ride. My ride pal is wonderful! Her experience as a road rider really helps an old cruiser rider like me.

I was terrified of falling off my new Trek road bike by not un-clipping in time.  Mark, at my cycle shop said it is not a matter of IF you fall but WHEN!!! Well that tipped me off and I have been scared ever since.

Well I have done it... I was on a fundraiser ride on Thetis Island for 2 little boys who were just diagnosed with CF (the Elijah Project). Halfway through the ride, we all stopped to visit the First Aid-Fireman (this is where I decided to try and walk with one shoe still clipped). While I scrambled back to my feet the First Aid guys asked me if I was ok. I reassured them that I was, but would like my ego back intact please!!! The bruises have all faded to a glorious green-yellow tinge! - All is well.

Don't forget our Beer & Burger night at our local pub this Saturday, April 24th. There is a Silent Auction to follow. We have great donations that are making marketing this fun and easy. Call or email me if you know anyone here on the island who would like to join us!

Phone: 250-246-2202 or email: kittycb@hotmail.com




Would you like to sponsor a favorite rider? Click on their name anywhere on this journal to open their "bio" on the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis GearUP4CF web site, click on the button "Sponsor this Rider", and you will join our team!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would be delighted to hear from you!