Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cycling to the Rockies for CF - on a Tandem Bike

Submitted by Brian Benson, Margaret Benson's husband, both of whom are riding on GearUp4CF this year

After a few days of going over our tandem bike, dusting it off (from lack of use for the last 9 years or so), oiling the chain and putting on new saddles we headed out for our first ride tonight in preparation of our 2 day journey.  Feeling guilty only partaking in the first 2 days I thought it was appropriate to do some hill climbing on day one.  Since we live in North Vancouver we have to ride hills no mater which way we go. What Margaret didn’t realize is I have this ability to find the up hills and somehow avoid most the down hills even though we start and finish at the same altitude. Amazing how that happens. 



I’ve been known in the past to not take training seriously but for this ride the second day has been haunting me a bit.  Going on the flats and downhill on a tandem is pretty easy.  Going up hill is another story.  Day 2 from Harrison to Manning will be true test of our fitness and compatibility, from both a marriage and tandem-wise.  Mind you, after being married to her for 21 years, I suppose two days together on a tandem shouldn’t challenge our relationship too much should it???

So off we head tonight for some hill climbs.  Although we only rode a little over an hour, we rode up some of the steeper hills around our house.  Margaret  is more fit than I, but I was suspicious of her not sweating too much or breathing heavy.  Hmmmm......I wonder if she was pedaling.  (just kidding honey)  She did great.






Life with Margaret has been an adventure to say the least.  No matter what we do we manage to laugh at something. Rather, she laughs and I just shake my head.  It happened again tonight.  We stopped by the Stedman’s house to say hello.  They have a son with CF. No one was home so we got back on the bike.  As I straddled the bike, I had my right foot in my clip with my left foot firmly placed on the ground.  Margaret was struggling for some reason to get both her feet in the clips.  Her right foot was in, but she just could not get her left foot in. Margaret asked me to rotate the crank back a bit.  In frustration she said, “I’ve never had this much difficulty in reaching the left pedal before”......only to have her break into a hysterical laugh as some neighbors looked on......  “Hey Margaret” I said,  “That’s MY LEFT PEDAL you are trying to reach”.  Needless to say, she retreated to her own left pedal as we pushed onward.

I think these two days are going to be an adventure to say the least.



- Brian , riding with Margaret




Would you like to sponsor a favorite rider? Click on their name anywhere on this journal to open their "bio" on the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis GearUP4CF web site, click on the button "Sponsor this Rider", and you will join our team!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would be delighted to hear from you!