Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 8 - from Cranbrook to Creston 131 km


Submitted by Kitty Chavarie

The ride to Invermere was long and hot...flat flat flat but with good company the kilometers just rolled away.

Today's route, plotted by Stan's bike-mounted GPS. Total distance: 131.1 km.  For details, click here-->







<--Our elevation profile.  At first glance, it looks like a really hard ride!!  But look at the scale. Changes are only a few hundred feet, spread out over many kilometers. Elevation-wise, it was not so bad, after all.


Stan and I solved all the worlds problems today and felt good about our ability to do that! HAHA.

Stan-->

I was hoping for more wildlife but we just saw a few wild drivers instead. It's funny how you can ride the shoulder and leave a large flat highway for all the other vehicles and still make folks angry?  I thought we were supposed to go "green". We can't get much greener than a bike right?









I rode a few kms with a triathlete cyclist today, who tagged along briefly with us near Canal Flats. I admired his chilly icy slurpy on his handlebars. If he wasn't so fast I would've grabbed it and zoomed off!

The scenery here can't be beat, no wonder its called Beautiful BC, man o man.

Canal Flats-->




The Hoodoo's are something to behold, also love the glacial streams and rivers, such a contrast to the silty rivers we have seen the last few days.

<--The Hoodoos, on the way to Invermere

Food on the road is amazing, I can't believe how good it all tastes when you roll in for lunches and snacks, thanks to Simona, Tracy, Wayne and Malcolm for setting out great spreads.



Thanks a zillion and a half to Andrea for keeping our bikes in such good shape. Some of us riders are newbies and need her expertise, a real bonus to have her along.  My seat felt a lot better today after the adjustment it recieved this am. (my bike seat that is!)  I had aching knees yesterday and she resolved that with
her knowledge.

I have loved having Brenda as my roommate, so much more mature and patient than me so a great mentor.  She has done seventeen Ironmans in her athletic career, and has tons of knowledge to share so I have lucked out having her to spend so much time together.

ONE MORE RIDE, I have almost seen the whole province from the seat of a bike, what a visual feast.  Try it you may like it!

Love from Kitty

(P.S. - More photos are coming - if not tonight, certainly over the next few days!

Would you like to sponsor a favorite rider? Click on their name above, or anywhere on this journal to open their "bio" on the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation GearUp4CF web site. Then simply click on the button "Sponsor this Rider".

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would be delighted to hear from you!