Saturday, May 29, 2010

A rainy ride part-way up Cypress


Submitted by Stan

Well, there's training rides and then there's training rides. This one was a sodden journey into North Vancouver that took me out to Horseshoe Bay, up that brutal climb to the upper levels highway via Westport Road I did two weeks ago, and part-way up Cypress before heading down the mountain for some much needed hot coffee.
A dreary view of the ocean on Marine Drive just outside of UBC--->


What a difference from last weekend.  Today was cold, and wet.  Very, very wet.  The clouds wrapped the mountain with a clammy fog that started at the viewpoint, not unlike my ride to Seymour a few weeks ago.  Not exactly a good day to go climbing up the big hills on the North Shore. I knew this, but we have only 21 days left.  The more hill climbing we do now, the better.

<--Stan, feel'in the cold.


Thankfully, my regular riding group, Le Peloton, were there to keep me company. We rode up together in a close pack, looking back over our shoulders to make absolutely sure that no one was dropped. That can be pretty discouraging on a day like this, and really, there's no reason.  We're all going up the mountain at basically the same pace, so why not stay together? Besides, it's more fun that way - if you can call this fun!

My soaking wet gear at the end of the ride.  Thank goodness this day is done. -->




Most of the GearUp4CF Vancouver team wisely rode south today, away from the mountains.  Now that I'm back and have had a hot shower, I'm convinced they made the right choice.  However, I heard last night that Brian and Margaret Benson were going to try to make up Cypress mountain today... on their Tandem bike!  That's pretty brave, on a day like this.  I sincerely hope they make it.




<--My route today, 97.4km. Calories burned, 3603.









My elevation profile. For more details, click hereThe arrow shows the short, sharp grade up Westport Road, as high as 21%.  -->



Why are we doing this? I just have to think of Roman, Madison and Hailey, the kids I'm riding for in June.

<--with their mom, Jacqueline




Roman, in hospital recently-->

I must be prepared for this epic ride. I simply cannot let them down.  Please, if you have not done so already, help us to make this ride a success by sponsoring a rider.  Because, far more important than climbing mountains, are your contributions to fund lifesaving research into better treatments and ultimately a cure for Cystic Fibrosis.  The children and young adults we are riding for are depending on it.

Stan




Would you like to sponsor a favorite rider? Click on their name anywhere on this journal to open their "bio" on the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation GearUp4CF web site, click on the button "Sponsor this Rider", and you will join our team!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would be delighted to hear from you!