Thursday, March 18, 2010

Introducing Susan Edmison

Submitted by Susan:


Last year’s ride was an amazing experience for me. The training consumed me for about 4 months, yet when I started the ride I was incredibly nervous – had I really trained enough and in the right way? As the nine days progressed I became increasingly confident that I was well prepared and would be able to cycle the entire route. 


 When I arrived in Banff on the ninth day it was a moment of tremendous personal success. But along the way I learned so much about CF and the need to focus research efforts and money towards improving the lives of the children, youth and adults living daily with the challenges of CF. Since that ride I have maintained and expanded connections with individuals who have been affected by CF. I knew without a doubt that I would have to do this grueling but beautiful ride once again.


Last year I cycled the 1200 km on a touring bike, that I nicknamed “the Tank” after at least one of the other riders nicknamed me the “steam locomotive”. Now I continue to decide if that was intended as a compliment. “Loco” comes from Spanish meaning crazy and locomotive refers to a driving or pulling force. So yes maybe I am crazy. But if think of myself, and all the other cyclists, as a “driving force”, encouraging family, friends and businesses to “climb on board” and help contribute to the goal of a cure by donating money, then I take “steam locomotive” as a compliment.


I have just started my training for this year’s ride – a little later than last year. I know that if I don’t put the hours into the saddle I will be sorry. Until now I have been riding my bike to work and riding on the weekend, if the weather is favorable. Well now that I am truly into training mode I have to ride rain or shine. Well guess what – my first training ride was in the rain. Well as a true west coast girl the rain doesn’t really bother me as long as my clothing keeps me dry and warm. It didn’t take me long to figure out that I didn’t have the right waterproof footgear. So needless to say, I made a fast trek to West Point Cycles for the real thing! So now I’m keen to ride in rain!!


The other exciting thing for me this year is that I am riding a real road bike – a carbon road bike. Yup it is definitely much lighter than “the Tank”. And wow can it go!! I wonder what it will be like cycling up a 26 km 9% grade mountain? Last year I was thrilled when I first cycled to the top of Cypress. This year my training goal is the “triple”. That means cycling Cypress, Grouse and Seymour – all in one day! I will keep you posted. You know when I used to drive past cyclists riding up the mountains I used to think “that person is crazy!”


The night before last year’s ride I met an amazing young woman – Ali Brennan. So this year I am “biking for Brennan”. I will let her introduce herself to you:


“Hi! My name is Ali Brennen. I was diagnosed with CF at birth and am constantly having to deal with it. I am seventeen years old and am in grade eleven at Lord Byng Secondary School. I am in the senior Theatre Company as acting is my passion. Another of my passions is horseback riding. Having CF is a challenge, but with an amazing family, and incredible friends, they help me to fight it every day. Having someone ask to ride his or her bike from here all the way to Calgary for you is an incredible honour. Thank you Susan for being crazy enough to ride your bike that far. Everyone who takes time out of his or her life to fight for a cure is a truly amazing person. I thank you all so very much. Please support Susan in her ride for a cure. Thank you.”

Over the next months I hope to keep you posted on my training and fund raising efforts and have Ali share more about herself.


- Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would be delighted to hear from you!